Conditions We Treat
Eating disorders are illnesses that can cause serious and persistent disturbances to a person’s everyday eating or eating-related behavior, such as consuming extremely small amounts of food or severely overeating. Individuals with an eating disorder may have started out just eating smaller or larger amounts of food, but at some point, the urge to eat less or more went out of control. Severe concern about body weight or shape may also characterize eating disorders.
Eating disorders are real, treatable medical illnesses. They often coexist with other illnesses such as depression, substance abuse, or anxiety disorders. If not treated, eating disorders can become life-threating. At The Hearth, our team of professionals uniquely treats the whole person so as to facilitate recovery.
We treat individuals with any eating disorder diagnosis including, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID),and other specified feeding or eating disorder (OSFED).
- Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that makes individuals lose more weight than is considered healthy for their age and height. When an individual has anorexia, she often equates thinness with self-worth.
- Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder in which an individual regularly overeats and then uses different methods-such as purging or over-exercising to prevent weight gain. When an individual has bulimia, he may be preoccupied with his weight and body shape and judge himself severely.
- Binge eating disorder is an eating disorder in which an individual regularly consumes unusually large amounts of food.
- ARFID is an eating disorder that typically begins during childhood in which there is a persistent failure to meet nutritional needs resulting in weight loss or failure to grow. It may be associated with anxiety (such as fear of choking or vomiting), autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and a number of medical conditions.
- OSFED is an eating disorder diagnosed when an individual presents with feeding or eating behaviours that cause clinically significant distress and impairment in areas of functioning, but do not meet the full criteria for any of the other feeding and eating disorders.
Each of these eating disorders is extremely serious and can rapidly lead to other severe medical complications including hospitalization. At The Hearth, we will assess your needs and develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs and the needs of your family. If you have a question about these illnesses call our counselors at 803-260-2854.